Thursday, March 14, 2013

Just keep swimming, just keep swimming

Some days are easier than others. Some days are an uphill battle.  I could easily come up with excuses for why some days are more difficult. I could say I am stressed. I could say the company I work for has bought me lunch five out of seven days.  I could say all of this and more.  It doesn't matter. At the end of the day they are just excuses. Nothing more than mere words. 
Ultimately, it's my decision. It's my decision to raise and lower my fork. To move food in to my mouth.  I was struck about a year ago when someone someone was sharing a story with me. This is how the story went. Jane was really worried about her friend Dick. Dick smoked cigarettes. One day Jane approached Dick.  She shared with him her concern, her worry, her desire for him to live out his years in a happy and healthy manner.  Dick responded, thoughtfully, my need to put down the cigarette is as great a need as your need to put down the fork.  Jane was addicted to food. Dick was addicted to cigarettes. Both Dick and Jane were slowly killing themselves.

Since hearing this story, I have tried to be less judgemental of others. I have tried to be more open to the fact I have a problem, an addiction, and I need help.  My addiction just happens to be slightly more socially acceptable than smoking a pack a day. Ultimately, my decision to maintain or status quo is just that, my decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment